Thursday, January 29, 2009

Definately Metallisuck

I have been listening to Slacker radio all day today and hearing some pretty cool new music here and there. I was really excited when the song "My Apocalypse" off the new Death Magnetic release from Metallica came on. I have been really scared to listen to anything off this album since it came out.

I am really sorry I even listened to it.

Metallica has just NOT been good since the release of "...And Justice For All". I know everyone thinks the "Black" album was their shining moment, but I disagree. I actually didnt care for the "Black" album all that much. It had a few decent songs on it, but just did not have the raw power, killer rifts, or crushing drums of previous releases.

Two things have happened in the history of Metallica that caused them to spiral downhill for me.

1) The death of Cliff Burton
2) They cut their hair off.

Metallica's sound completly changed after Cliff passed away and Jason Newstead came into the band. I did still enjoy "...And Justice for All" even though I felt it was not on par with the previous albums. Really take a listen to "Kill 'Em All", "Ride the Lightning", and "Master of Puppets". Listen to the way the music flows together and just assaults you. Then listen to "...And Justice for All". The music no longer flowed as one. It had that chop chop bass sound that Newstead used during his Flotsom and Jetsom days. It changed the way the band worked when he joined.

Everything after this point has just gotten worse and worse. There was high hope for "Death Magnetic" and from the sales figures I am in the minority here. If the rest of the release is anything like My Apocalypse...no thank you.

I shall continue to refer to you as Metallisuck when speaking of anything after "Master of Puppets". I wish they would just hang it up and call it done. It is as if all their power came from the hair. Once that was gone, so were they.

If you want to hear how a song called My Apocalypse should sound...go listen to Arch Enemy and the song of the same title.

1 comment:

Brad MO said...

My Apocalypse was probably the most underwhelming song on the album imho, but That Was Just Your Life, The End of the Line, and All Nightmare Long are easily the best songs they've put out since 1988.