Monday, August 27, 2012

Guild Wars 2 launch day!

As if I need yet another game to play, today marks the launch of Guild Wars 2.


The main attraction for this game for me was the fact that there is no monthly fee.  Free is good.  You purchase the retail game and there are no "in game" purchases that you see a lot of these MMORPG's moving towards.  There will be expansions and those will cost, but unlike my WoW addiction this one wont drain my pocket every month.

I downloaded the game last night and finished the install this morning.  I logged in to create a couple toons and was pleased with the race/class combo, as well as the character customizations.  Being able to change the color scheme of my armor prior to logging in was a nice feature.  While not really anything that will change the game play, it did make it feel more personalized.

I didn't get much of a chance to really do anything other than create my 3 toons.  I currently have a Human Necromancer, Norn Guardian, and a Sylvari Ranger.  I have not decided what I am going to play when I get home from work tonight, but this was a start.  I think I am going to make myself a Norn Elementalist and possibly a Human Mesmer.  Then play around with each to see what I like.

First impression, the graphics look really nice.  I also like the fact that each Race/Class combo can adjust what type of role they play in each group.  Elementalists can change focus from Fire (dps) to Water (healing) in the middle of combat.  Once changed you can only cast from that school, but its nice to have options if your healer drops in the middle.  Someone else can switch on the fly and fill in.  I also like the fact that your spell selection you have access too also depends on what weapon you have equipped. 

All in all I am really looking forward to jumping in game tonight and checking it out.

No comments: