Friday, October 26, 2007

MP3's and Ripping, and Ipod's Oh My!!!!

My loving wife decided about 5 months ago to take pity on my lack of Ipodiness and surprised me with a shiny new black 80 gig Ipod Video.




The main reason behind this purchase was the new car. Back in January I finally decided it was time to retire the 1990 Honda Prelude. The "lude" decided it was going to take up a smoking habit. Every time I started it up after it had been sitting for the day, I had to allow it at least a 5 minute smoke break before it was okay to drive. After much fighting to just get it fixed, my wife won and we decided to adopt a shiny new 2007 Ford Fusion SE V6. A lot of people like to make fun of the fact that the color I picked was silver. I wasn't trying to have a matching colored car as my wife (she has a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer that is silver), it was just the color they had that had all the features I wanted. This purchase led to the Ipod purchase because the car has a mini jack located inside the center console along with a power plug. Perfect for the hook up of an Ipod.


Currently, without adding in my wife's CD's, I have a collection of CD's that is sitting right around 1000+ discs. I have quite a few that are rare and out of print. I thought that now that I have this 80gig storage unit, I could rip all the songs I wanted and then box up the CD's. This way they are not taking up a ton of space in my office, and they will be out of my son's reach. If you have looked at my wife's blog (http://jaynashaye.blogspot.com/) you will have heard all about him. He has decided that since he is all grown up (he is 4 1/2) that the computer in my office is now his computer. He plays his Star Wars Lego games on it as well as watches his video's. The newest thing he is doing on it is playing World of Warcraft. Yes, at 4 1/2 my son is being sucked in to the world of the MMO. Actually he is playing on a private server, not on the retail ones. He plays on the private WoWGasm servers, but that is a whole nother blog for a later date.

Now that I had this new Ipod, it was ripping time!

I started out with just the songs I wanted to listen to. I went through all my MP3's I had on my desktop and moved them over to my laptop. I then went through and pulled out all the CD's I knew I wanted. I spent 4 days ripping what I thought was a pile of MP3's that would rivel the selection on ITunes. Oh how I have forgotten what it was like to be so completely clueless about my music. After I was all done I hooked up the IPod and waited patiently for it to finish loading my massive music selection.

1045 song.

1045 song?

WHAT? That is it?

I have only used up 7 gig? That is about right since I am ripping at 192. I was going to go at 256, but I wasnt sure how much space this first round was going to take up.

Crap.

That was 5 months ago. Today I finally decided it was time for round 2 of ripping. I started at the beginning of CD rack number one. I decided that I was going to stick with 192 rate since in my car and on headphones it is actually sounding okay. That, and I really didn't want to go back and start ALL over.

Currently I am at 1385 songs. I decided since the plan was to completely box up the CD's this time, I should get everything I might possibly want to listen to on here. I am also going to pick up a docking station that allows me to hook up to the home audio system. That will be nice to have a 3K+ song selection to pick from instead of 5 CD's at a time. I guess I should think about making a seperate play list on just the stuff my wife would actually enjoy listening too.

Think I could sneak some Dimmu Borgir or Borknagar in there without her knowing?


No comments: