Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The NHL season starts TONIGHT!


I figured I would start this new blog site off with something I am very excited about. That's right, the start of the NHL regular season. This topic is really not something that fits under the title of hobbies or things that drive the wife insane. The opposite is true as far as the wife in concerned. She has really gotten into watching hockey, partly because I play in a local rec league. She loves going to my games, and now that she understands most of the rules, she loves the game.


This season should provide some fun rubbings in our house. My team is the Colorado Avalanche, while my wife is pulling a Benedict Arnold this year and actually cheering for the Phoenix Coyotes. I guess I can't call her a traitor really, since she jumped ship last season to the Montreal Canadians. It was all a result of the Avs trading off the player she likes - David Aebischer.


If you don't know who David is, I'll give you the cliff notes. He was the backup goalie for the Avalanche when Patrick Roy was still around. If you don't know who that is, stop reading right here. You obviously have no clue about Hockey and should be punished in one of the nine hells. Either that, or you should start watching and attending games for one of the greatest sports to exist on this planet. Anyways...after Roy retired he pushed for the Avs to give the back up goalie (Aebischer) the headline spot. They did, but talks of trading him started from day one. Eventually they did trade him to the Canadians. After his year with them, he became an unrestricted free agent and was finally picked up by Phoenix.


Wow, talk about just rambling off of topic. To get back to the start of the season...I am lucky enough to have a wife who likes the game. Last season we decided to try out the NHL Center Ice package with Directv (since that is what provider we already had). I must say, I loved it. So we went ahead and renewed again this year and tonight is the first night of games. Tonight we get to pick from:


Anaheim Mighty Ducks at Detroit Red Wings

Montreal Canadiens at Carolina Hurricanes

Ottawa Senators at Toronto Maple Leafs

Dallas Stars at Colorado Avalanche


I wonder which game I am going to be watching? Well, I can tell you it will NOT be the first 3 on that list! The Avs are looking really good this year with some great off season trades and picks. I am really excited to see who they go to for game one in the net. My vote would be for Peter Budaj.

Did I mention I really don't like the Dallas Stars? No, okay then...
I really don't like the Dallas Stars. So much so that I am not going to include a link to their site. So take that you Stars fans!


GO AVALANCHE!





No comments: