Thursday, June 26, 2008

Isn't that just called "Good customer service?"

It is time once again for me to discuss the taboo topic of work.

I am sitting at my desk the other day and I receive and email entitled (and I shit you not...):

Do you got GOT?

Normally when I receive these company wide emails I just tend to ignore them. Seeing as how this one decided to just ignore basic English 101 I decided it was time to take a look.



So, got GOT is this "new, fresh and exciting" concept that the higher ups have decided to implement. GOT is the hip new thing known as Greet, Offer, Thank. The premise here is that with each and every interraction via teleconference, phone call, email, IM or in person you must attempt to GOT the person on the receiving end. It's sort of like a big old game of tag, but for adults. In the workplace. Getting paid. Oh yeah, and this is serious - not fun.

So, when you are interracting with someone the first thing you need to do is Greet them. This means letting them know you are there, what department you work in, and what your role is.

The offer part is just that. You offer to help them with whatever it is they need. I am pretty sure this doesnt involve things like going to the bathroom, getting them coffee, or offering to suck up to them in order to get ahead. What? Oh no, there is never any of that going on around here (insert sarcastic tone with that).

The last is to thank them. I am not sure why you would be thanking someone that just called you for help. I tend to think if someone calls me and I help them out, I am the one receiving the thanks. But hey, I didnt think of the complete and total awsomeness that is GOT.

So in recap - you greet someone. You offer to help them with whatever it is they called about. Then you thank them for calling you.

Great work there suits. That has got to be the most revolutionary idea in corporate history. This is definately going to set us apart from any other company out there. I mean seriously...who buys into this? Since I got my first job clear back in high school this GOT was called something else....

GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Then again, all it takes is one call to ANY business out there for one to realize the concept of customer service just doesnt exist any more.

Maybe if they got GOT - they could do away with AID

Answer, Infuriate, Disconnect - the current corporate policy.

So remember:

Do you got GOT?

No comments: