Thursday, August 28, 2008

I am ashamed to admit that outsourcing makes sense now.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people still have jobs. I have always been VERY against outsourcing. Each day that I come to work I am reminded why companies continue to do it. I can now understand why our econemy is terrible, why companies are losing money, and why we are laying off more and more people and outsourcing jobs.

I work with people that I if asked, I could not explain to you exactly what they do around here. I mean I can explain what they are supposed to do, but not what they actually do. It just blows me away that these people still have jobs, and really just confuses me how management just continues to turn a blind eye.

It was 5 months ago that I was told I would be switching job functions to work on a different system. It wasnt like "Hey, we are going to switch you to work on XXXXXX starting next week after some training." That would have been logical in most situations wouldnt it? Oh no, not around here. I came to work at the start of my week and was told "Oh, by the way, we are moving you up to XXXXXX starting today." To which I responded "I have never worked on that system before, is there going to be any training?" The answer I received was simply "Nope, good luck with that."

I was then told that the two guys they moved from that system to documentation would be responsible for training me. I figured that would be good since they were still part of our group. Holy crap was I completely on the wrong page. Not only did they refuse to train me, but the also would not help answer questions. This was even AFTER being advised more than a dozen times that they were required to do this. What happened to this people who batently refused to do what they were instructed to do? RAISES!

Now the documentation is done and they are back to be work on the same stuff I am. Each day we have about 6 or 7 reports that we generate as well as taking care of any outage tickets, server down issues, among other things. Last Friday I ended up doing all the reports, all the system access requests, server outages, missing file transfers, and basically everything else that came up. What were the two other guys who just came back doing? One was messeging back and forth on some forum while the other was watching movies. Finally after about 4 hours of this shit I turned to one of them and asked if they were actually going to help me by maybe doing their job. I shit you not when I tell you the reply:

"I dont have to do that stuff anymore. That is below my pay scale now."

To which I promptly informed them that they were still in the same position that I was and yes they were to do this. One of them actually told me "You should just shut up about stuff you have no clue about. I dont have to do that stuff and I am not going to. Dont talk to me any more."

I guess it is a sore subject with him or something. That or the fact that he did not get promoted like he told everyone he was going to made him bitter.

Come in to this week and we now have a new guy that moved to our system. In front of everyone the two happy guys were told that they were required to train this new guy. So yesterday the guy that comes in from 2 to 10 actually sat down and did some training. This was a shock, but of the two I figured he would be the one to step up. Come in today and the 6 to 2 person has yet to even talk to the new guy. He flat out refuses to train him, and has yet to do any of the work. Today has been IM'ing his buddy about some game, looking at those stupid cat pictures with the stupid "I haz cheezburger" or some shit saying on it, and that is about it. Oh yeah, and getting coffee every 10 minutes.

The thing that amazes me about this is the fact that nobody with any authority does anything about it. They all just turn a blind eye and let him get away with it. Why? I have no idea. I guess that is the way things are done around here.

And everyone is so shocked and pissed when they annouced lay-offs and outsourcing. The point I have to make here is - at least the India people actually do their work. Maybe if everyone around here would do the same we wouldnt have to get lay offs and outsourcing.

Wow, what an interesting concept...actually DOING the work they are PAYING you to do.

Nah, that would make sense.

No comments: